Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Meal Idea: Chipotle Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos

Today's post is from the wonderful Aileen. I really adore her and her blog, and I know you will too. Even from the little blurb about herself on her blog, you're sure to be drawn in- "Hi! I'm Aileen. I'm in my 20's, married to my best friend and have too many fur-children. And chickens. We moved from the suburbs of Los Angeles to the mountains of small town Tehachapi to start our life together." Doesn't she sound awesome? That's because she is! So after you're done learning how to make these delicious tacos, head on over to Barker Zoo and say hello!


Tehachapi Oktoberfest 2012

Hi, Sometimes Sweet readers! I'm Aileen and I blog over at Barker Zoo. I've been following Dani's blog for years. Even before handsome little Henry came along and their only little one was their pup!

One thing I love about Dani is her commitment to being healthy and fueling her body with foods that are good for her. I sometimes have a struggle between healthy food and food that tastes yummy, but I do my best to strike a balance. One of my most favorite meals is Chipotle Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos. With guacamole because really, who doesn't love a little guac? So good.

This recipe is in regular rotation in our house and meat-eaters will love it, too. To quote my non-vegetarian sister, "This is so good. I want to eat this everyday!" I originally found the recipe here, but have made my own little tweaks and make a larger batch so we can have leftovers.

I'm one of those people that when using a recipe, about half way through I always end up thinking "am I doing this right?" and I stress until we sit down for dinner and find out that it tastes delicious. So, if you're like me, this step by step recipe with way too many photos is for you! Keep in mind I have made it a few times and I just kind of go with it. None of the ingredient amounts are set in stone, go with you and your families tastes. This recipe is pretty hard to mess up and usually takes less than 30 minutes. Plus I usually have enough left over for us to have the next day.

*I apologize for the dark photos. Cooking dinner (at night) with a black stove and dark counter top is tough on photos. I even gave in and let my sister use flash on all the photos to help brighten things up. You'll forgive me when you taste these delicious tacos, trust me.

Chipotle Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos

What you'll need
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 medium sweet potatos (I used yams this time, but you can really use either!)
  • 1 15oz can of black beans
  • 1 can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • Juice from one lime (or about 2 tbsp)
  • small (fajita) flour or corn tortillas (I prefer flour)
For Guacamole
  • 4 avocados
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic (or 1 clove)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • juice from 1/2 lime
  • 1 small tomato, diced
  • handful of cilantro (optional)
Chipotle Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos

1. Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium.

2. Chop and add onion to pan and let it cook for a couple of minutes until it start to soften

3. Chop your sweet potatoes, stir into pan and let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally

Chipotle Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos


Chipotle Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos

4. While your sweet potato onion mixture is cooking open up the can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Pull out a few peppers and chop them up. I generally use 4-5 because I like it spicy. If you're more sensitive to spicy maybe stick with 2.

5. Mix the chopped peppers, about 2-3 Tbsp of the adobo sauce, honey and lime juice in a bowl. Add to pan.

Chipotle Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos

7. Drain your can of black beans and add to pan

8. Stir occasionally and continue cooking on low-medium for about 10-12 minutes. I don't like my sweet potatoes too soft, so just try one every once in a while until you get them how you want them.

Chipotle Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos

9. While that's cooking, start cutting up the avocado and tomato and put in a bowl

10. Mix avocado, tomato, lime juice, minced garlic, salt and pepper together

Chipotle Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos

Take a tortilla, scoop yourself a generous spoonful of guacamole and a generous spoonful the sweet potato mixture and enjoy! I would love to hear from you if you decide to try these tacos. Thank you, Dani, for allowing me to share this with your lovely readers! And to all Danielle's readers, if you'd like to see more yummy recipes or read about me and my newlywed, small town living, not too exciting, but perfect for me life I'd love for you to stop by Barker Zoo. Happy eating!

 Chipotle Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment